Preserve America is a federal initiative that encourages and supports community efforts to preserve and enjoy our priceless cultural and natural heritage. The goals of the program include a greater shared knowledge about the nation’s past, strengthened regional identities and local pride, increased local participation in preserving the country’s cultural and natural heritage assets, and support for the economic vitality of our communities.
What are Preserve America Communities and Neighborhoods?
Communities may apply for special designation as a Preserve America Community, which recognizes communities that:
- protect and celebrate their heritage;
- use their historic assets for economic development and community revitalization; and
- encourage people to experience and appreciate local historic resources through education and heritage tourism programs.
What are the benefits of being a designated community?
Benefits of designation include:
- White House recognition;
- a certificate of recognition;
- a Preserve America Community road sign;
- authorization to use the Preserve America logo on signs, flags, banners, and promotional materials;
- listing in a Web-based Preserve America Community directory;
- national and regional press releases;
- eligibility for Preserve America grants when funded by Congress; and
- enhanced community visibility and pride.